There are many ways to go about it.
So lets start with some basic steps & concepts to start.
1.) Recognize you are in a Dream.
There are several ways to do this. Start out with something easy.
- Build a habit. Stare at your hands during the day and ask your self "am I dreaming"?
- Repeat to yourself before bed that you are about to dream. "I am about to dream", "I am falling asleep", "I will look at my hands".
- Keep a dream journal to memorize repetitious oddities. Lights not working, loose teeth, morphing pictures etc etc. If you remember these in your dream they will help you realize you are dreaming
- Expand your awareness (I will create a guide for this).
- Think abstractly (I will create a guide for this).
- Meditate before going to sleep or until fall asleep.
- Stare back and forth between the object of your choice that got you to recognize you were in a dream and your environment.
- Spin around, this sends false signals to the balance part of the brain and also creates rapid thinking as you are rapidly taking in your surroundings by spinning around.
- Staying calm, getting overly excited about what you are doing or dealing with will cause you to wake up or swallowed back into the dream.
- Simply will a place in your mind.
- Remember a place in your mind.
- Travel to the place you want to go.
- Simply will the object in your mind
- Remember the object of your choice.
- Travel to a place where the known object resides.
5.) Existing in pure consciousness.
- Clear you mind after you have realized you are in a dream.
- Will everything in your dream to dissipate.
- Look at the object that got to realize you are in a dream then back to your surroundings. If you do this in rapid succession you will start to see your surroundings disappear.
Lucid dreaming can help you with your awake self. Using the power of the dream you can create new ideas and profit from them, helping you and society. It can also help you increase your brain usage and capacity to learn.
Like everything else in this world it takes practice some pick it up faster than others some just do it. Just keep practicing and you will be able to do it. If you really want to do it don't stop trying.